Sunday 23 May 2010

Surfing: an Introduction

The first morning after our arrival in Bali, we ran to the beach in a frenzy of excitement, quickly hiring boards and slapping on a cursory layer of suncream. The minute that followed revealed a number of unwelcome truths:

1. The board they give you to learn on is approximately twice your height and three times your weight. You are leashed to this monolith with a piece of cable and some Velcro.

2. Getting this board to the water’s edge requires Herculean strength.

3. I’m scared of the sea, specifically:
a. The waves (enormous)
b. The undertow (vicious)
c. Good surfers (might blast past, impaling me on the point of their boards)
d. Bad surfers (might lose control and lose their boards in the vicinity of my face)
e. Water getting into my goggles and stinging my eyes

The weight of these truths caused me to exit the sea approximately 60 seconds after first entering it. With a quivering lip and goggles beginning to fill with the hot tears of shame, I stayed on the sand while Joe hastily found me a boogie-board. Clinging tightly to my piece of foam I managed to catch a few waves without drowning. Meanwhile, Joe leapt fearlessly into the surf and found his sea legs almost immediately and cut a fine figure as he blasted towards the shore .

4 days later...

Since writing the above, some progress has been made. I have been upgraded to a proper surfboard and have on about 2 occasions stood up on it for a bit. One of the reasons surfing is so tricky is that it makes several different bits of you hurt. Here is a summary of the body parts which are currently causing me grief:

1. Thumbs. These get blistered. Or at least mine do, Joe’s are fine. No idea why, possibly it’s from gripping the board too tightly as a result of paralytic fear.

2. Torso. After the first day, we both found our torsos had been scratched raw in some places from rubbing continually against the roughly waxed boards. Further damage has been prevented by the acquisition of rash vests, but it still hurts.

3. Knees. These are scratched and sore, again from the board rubbing.

4. Arms. These ache royally as a result of hours spent trying to hoist my body from a lying-down-on-your-front-being-scratched-position to a surfer-dude-upright-standing-position.

5. Front of body. In order to get far enough out to sea to surf, you must first walk/swim/drag yourself and your board through about 18 waves of increasing size and strength. This is akin to being ambushed constantly by an enraged gorilla and the constant pummelling is very tiring.

6. Head. The bigger waves make it harder to keep a firm grip on your board. Sometimes it slips out of your hands, rises up with the wave then bonks you squarely on the head.

In spite of this catalogue of aches and pains, surfing is, annoyingly, rather fun. So I expect we’ll be putting ourselves through the mill for as long as it takes to stop being rubbish (in my case) and start being offered sponsorship deals (in Joes).

2 comments:

  1. brilliant and gripping (literally onto the side of the board). I felt your fear and exhaustion and so I decided to stay here in Bristol, despite really wanting to sort of surf in Bali, you see, I have discovered that virtual surfing is much safer, far less tiring and no injuries - although I have noticed it's difficult to get out of the chair in front of the computer and walk across the kitchen for another bowl of crisps, a beer, some pizzas and a roast chicken sandwich. Hoping to try and get out the chair tomorrow - after a few more snacks. And after I've read your next gripping installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolly well done old beans. I particularly like your resigned expression Laura. Can you stand up yet? Heard you've been muchly burnt, hope the locals didn't laugh at your red selves. xx

    ReplyDelete